Friday, November 25, 2011

The Quest for the Perfect Motif

I've decided to crochet a blanket for my sister. I have a decent amount of Caron Simply Soft (which I love using for afghans-so cuddly! so durable!) in blue tones. Figuring out what yarn to use is the easy part; figuring out the pattern? Not so much.
A couple weeks ago I ordered a few books from Amazon, which arrived in less than a week. (If only my orders from Jo-Ann arrived so quickly!) One of them was "Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs" by Edie Eckman...so I'm giving that a go.
Since I also have a decent amount of random Simply Soft ends left over from other projects, I'm doing test motifs.
The first one I made was Motif #6:
I really like this one, but upon completion realized it wouldn't work for the project I want. This motif is a 10-point circle, and I cannot figure out how to evenly join all those motifs and create a uniform design. I'm a bit of a stickler for uniformity in crochet projects. It might work for an interpretation of the Santa Fe Shawl (also designed by Edie Eckman-I really like her designs!) but for this project I just don't see it working out.

The next one I tried was a hexagon: Motif #46:
This one would be fairly easy to join, and the blanket would certainly look like a bunch of snowflakes...but those points drove me nuts when I was working on this! Triple picot stitches on each point...I get frustrated easily. I like the end result, I just really don't like the process.

On to the next one...Motif #49:
This one is starting to show promise. I like the way it looks, there are no annoying picot stitches, and it wouldn't be difficult to join-as-you-go (which, incidentally, I have yet to try.) I may have to make another motif & try the joining...of course, I also plan to try out a few more motifs before I decide for certain what pattern I'm going to use.

Well, I'm off to work this morning (I knew a long weekend was too good to be true!). I'll update later with more test motifs & hopefully a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment