Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Quick Kindergarten Handwarmers

So yesterday afternoon, my almost-6-year-old says to me, "Mama, I need mittens."
We live in Las Vegas. "Winter" means temperatures of 45F during the day.

Well, anyway, I can't say "no" when my son asks me for something handmade, so I grabbed some blue yarn (because he asked for blue) and a hook and 40 minutes later I had this pair of mittens done.

Yes, they are fingerless. He wants to wear them on the playground, which means he'll need to grip or grab things. Again, we live in Las Vegas, these are perfect for winter.

They were so simple, I figured I'd share them with you all for free.

Here we go:

Quick Kindergarten Handwarmers
by Katherine Larson

Finished size: 4.5"long x 5.5"circumference (11.5 cm x 14 cm)
Skills needed: chain stitch, slip stitch, single crochet, working in back loops only/front loops only

Materials:
Yarn: 25-30g of aran weight yarn (I used Big Twist Yarns Premium Solids, in Royal)
Hook: J/6.0mm or size needed to meet gauge
notions: yarn needle

Gauge: 7 sts and 7 rows = 2" / 5cm in sc blo
Notes: Pattern uses US crochet terminology.
Each handwarmer is worked flat, then seamed via slip-stitch.

Abbreviations:
Ch - chain
Sc - single crochet
Sc blo - single crochet in back loop only
Sl st - slip stitch
st - stitch

Pattern (make 2):

Ch 16
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and each ch st across (15 sc)

Row 2-18: Ch 1, turn. Sc blo in each st across (15 sc)

Row 19: Ch 1, turn. Fold handwarmer so that row 18 and row 1 line up. Working in back loops of row 18 and front loops of row 1, sl st 4; working in back loop only of row 18, sl st 3 (thumbhole made); working back loops of row 18 and front loops of row 1, sl st 8.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

There you go! I hope you enjoyed it! If you like, go ahead and make a project page on Ravelry (click here to do so!)

No comments:

Post a Comment